Saturday, August 8, 2026

Physics in TV Commercials

 Physics in TV Commercials

Back in the 80s, when I was in high school, a Nike tv commercial featured the physics formula F=ma. My friends and I were in Physics class talking about it, since it was one of the easiest formulas as well as one of the first we had learned in that class! To this day, I remember that formula and that commercial. 

I wasn't sure if there were any other tv commercials with physics formulas, so I asked ChatGPT.

Here's what ChatGPT said:

The Nike commercial you're thinking of is likely one of Nike's science-themed ads from the late 1990s or early 2000s that flashed Newton's Second Law (F = ma) as a visual metaphor for athletic performance. Nike also produced campaigns referencing Einstein's ideas about relativity and speed, such as the "Art of Speed" campaign, which explicitly explored time dilation.

Physics formulas actually show up in commercials more often than most people realize. Here are some notable examples:

BrandFormula(s)Purpose
NikeF = maAthletic power, force, acceleration.
Nike – Art of SpeedRelativity conceptsSpeed changes perception of time.
AppleE = mc², π, calculus equationsTo symbolize intelligence, creativity, and education in several Mac campaigns.
IBMMaxwell's equations, binary math, E = mc²Highlighting scientific computing and research.
IntelMoore's Law, binary equationsDemonstrating technological progress.
VerizonE = mc² (Einstein-themed ads)Using Einstein to represent smart technology.
PfizerScientific equations and molecular formulasPromoting innovation in medicine.
FocusFactorE = mc² and chalkboard equationsSuggesting improved mental performance.
Rosetta Stone Fit BrainsPhysics and math equationsAssociating brain training with genius.

Some formulas that advertisers frequently use—even if they aren't central to the product—include:

  • F = ma (Newton's Second Law)
  • E = mc² (Einstein's mass-energy equivalence)
  • PV = nRT (Ideal Gas Law)
  • V = IR (Ohm's Law)
  • c = λf (wave equation)
  • Various calculus integrals and derivatives (often as visual shorthand for "genius")

Interestingly, advertisers rarely expect viewers to understand these equations. Instead, they use them as visual symbols:

  • F = ma = power, speed, motion.
  • E = mc² = brilliance, innovation, breakthrough thinking.
  • Calculus = intelligence and complexity.
  • Chemical formulas = science and precision.

If you're interested in this kind of thing, I can also put together a list of 25–50 TV commercials that featured actual scientific equations, including screenshots or links to the commercials where they're visible. There are more of them than most people realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog On Hold for a while

 I've run out of new ideas and find myself wasting time trying to come up with things that I think people might be interested in for the...